Let's say a retail chain wants to send, everyday, to every shop manager, a report detailing this shop's performance and trends.
Imagine you have a data warehouse that contains all sales records, and a PRD report template. Then here is how to create a system that will automatically generate and send the reports everyday:
- Install the bleeding-edge PDI 4.1.0 RC1
- Add Matt's plugin as explained here
- Open PDI "Spoon" and create a new Transformation
- First, create a "Table Input" step to get for each shop it's code, name and email address.
- Third, use the new "Pentaho Reporting step", and configure it to use your freshly computed PRPT and output filenames, as well as the shop codes.
- Finally, create an "Send mail" step and set it to use each shop's email address, putting the generated report as an attachment.
- Save and configure your cron to launch this transformation every night via the pan.sh command-line tool.